The PumpHouse Theatre has a comprehensive Health and Safety Policy to ensure our staff, contractors, hirers and theatre patrons have enjoy a safe visit to the theatre.
A theatre production can be risker than you think and we all have a role to play in making sure we all stay safe.
The following documents provide some guidance but note that they have not been prepared by The PumpHouse Theatre. You should also contact the relevant authority for the most up to date safety information and best practice guidelines.
- A guide for Safe Working Practices in the New Zealand Theatre & Entertainment Industry
- Safe Rigging Practices
- Working at height best practice guidelines
PumpHouse Theatre Health and Safety Requirements
If you are hiring the theatre for a number of days and haven’t booked a PumpHouse Duty Manager, before you can access the theatre you’ll need to provide us with:
- A copy of your organisations Health and Safety policy
- A hazard register specific to your show or performance
- Details of the person/people who are responsible for Health and Safety and who will be on site at all times.
This will help us ensure you have sound Health and Safety practices in place.
Creating your Health and Safety Plan
Health and Safety can be a complex area. We can’t create your plan, policy or hazard register for you (because you know your organisation and your production best), but we can offer some guidance.
- Example Hazard Register – Hazard_Register_Example-Set_Construction_for_Some_Play.pdf
- Hazard Register Template – Hazard_Register-template.docx
If you’d prefer one-on-one assistance, there are some organisations who specialise in this sort of work.
- OSHBox provide a complex system including customized training resources and forms for your team.
- Claire Raoult is a local Health and Safety adviser who can help with system creation, review and audits, training and induction, or general advice. Email claireraoultOHS@outlook.com for more details.
It’s important that all accidents (including near-misses) are reported to ensure The PumpHouse remains a safe venue.
If someone was seriously hurt you may need to report the accident to WorkSafe NZ immediately.
Find out more online at http://www.worksafe.govt.nz/worksafe/notifications-forms/notifiable-events